Mark O’Connor’s gritty Irish drama Cardboard Gangsters, starring Love Hate’s John Connors, is making waves both domestically and internationally with a huge buzz surrounding the film and it’s leading man John Connors. So far, it has grossed €78k at the Republic of Ireland box office from 47 cinemas, while after expanding into Northern Ireland cinemas its gross box office for the island of Ireland now stands at €192k.
Having had its international premiere at the 3rd Manchester International Film winning three of the main awards at the festival there was no doubt that the film would do well on general release. The film picked up Best Feature Film, Best Overall Film, and Best Actor for John Connors. It also received special jury mentions for O’Connor’s Direction and Screenplay, and for Michael Lavelle’s Cinematography.
John Connors plays Jay Connolly, a part-time DJ and low level drug dealer in Darndale, an area victimised by gangs, drugs and social problems. When his welfare is cut off he decides it’s time to enter the big leagues with his gang, in order to help settle his family’s debts. His actions attract the attention of Sean Murphy, the son of the local drug king pin, Derra Murphy, who rules Darndale with an iron fist and has no problems eliminating any potential rivals. Jay knows he’s playing a dangerous game but plans to make just enough money to settle his family’s debts, get out of Darndale, and move to Spain with his pregnant girlfriend. Events spiral out of control when Jay becomes involved with Derra’s wife, and his gang are thrust in to harm’s way, which leaves Jay with a momentous decision to exact revenge, or turn the other cheek.
Cardboard Gangsters is produced by Richard Bolger for Five Knight Films, in association with O’Connor’s Stalker Films. DoP was Michael Lavelle (Patrick’s Day). The film is funded by the BAI, Filmbase, and TV3 and released via Wildcard Distribution.
All of the Sound, Grade and Online was completed here at at EGG.
Category: Maya Pipeline TD
Start Date: immediately
Pipeline Technical Directors are responsible for writing and maintaining workflow tools for use on high end visual effects films. Pipeline TDs are required to work closely with the CG Supervisor, department Leads and Lead Pipeline TD.
- Writing pipeline tools and further developing the pipeline for use across EGG shows
- Working in collaboration with the CG Supervisor and end users to determine the best solutions
- Once a solution has been agreed then ensure that it addresses end user and show requirements as briefed
- Maintaining of tools including troubleshooting and optimisation
- Thorough documentation of all development and updating as necessary
- Ongoing research to recommend improvements to workflows in order to improve productivity or communication
- Problem solving abilities
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- The ability to prioritise production needs and tasks
- Detail orientated with a strong ability to multi-task
- A general understanding of networking and performance issues that arise with automated tools
- A degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- A working knowledge of Linux
- A working knowledge of Python, Maya and Nuke
- Visual effects production experience
- A good understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting through to compositing
- Good programming knowledge
If this sounds like you please email your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org